Thursday, March 1, 2007

My blog of confusion


Cheers, all 2 of you that actually check my blog and have thought that David is really slacking in this blog thing. Well, I guess I would prefer it if you just thought I was lazy rather than a big idiot who forgot how to access his own blog. Anyway, I'm back it.

I took comps this last Saturday and I still haven't heard back about that which bothers me for numerous reasons, one major one being that I am a bit worried (hence picture of awesome nervous boy) that I will fail more than one section and need to retake the exam next semester which would most likely severely bother my wife. Not to mention the fact that I would cry (i know Ryan is thinking something to the effect, figures! Little baby David doing his thing).

Do you ever wonder if those things you have planned to happen, which would be devastating if they didn't occur, make sense in some other way. I assume that graduating and finding a job that might make more sense with my current passions would be a good thing. And here is the vaguest (is that a word?) question ever be posted on this blog henceforth, now and forever. Hmm... I wonder how much control God has of that situation?

2 comments:

Ryan 1 said...

First, I'm the one they call Cryin Ryan, so I'm tearing you down to build myself up by calling you little baby david.

Second, you probably know what I think without saying it, but I think God has control to the extent that the people in charge of making all these decision listen to God. i.e. the power of influence. I'm not going to go all the way to process theism (although sometimes I want to), but with getting a job, is God going to hijack an employer's free will because he does/doesn't want you to have a particular job? I don't think so. God might lead said employer to hire/not hire you, but I think that's about the extent of God's control. Of course I must include the usual free will caveat that if God wanted to, God could hijack free will, but God doesn't want to. And God does what God wants...just like us, coincidentally, but we don't have infinite power.

Ben Dahlvang said...

As long as were picking nicknames, can I be Brash Benny?

It seems as though you may have reasoned in a circle, Ryan. But since I'm a big Van Til fan and think that circular reasoning is the cats pajamas, I suppose it would be far too brash to pursue that issue any further.

I do wonder, however, what you mean by "hijack." I really don't have any desire to dig up an ax I've happily burried, but I've always wondered if a hidden (or not so hidden) assumption in this line of thinking is that the only way God can bring about something that is, at one time or another, against a persons will is for him to remove or "hijack" that persons free will. Is that what it all boils down to?

Grace to you in your job hunt David!