Thursday, March 8, 2007

God's Rivals


I was just reading the introduction and conclusion to this book that is all about the existence of other religions and I was fascinated at his ability to articulate what I think of as foundation to my worldview, but have never fully applied. I have been intrigued as I think through the place of religions other than Christianity within my worldview and how to understand their place in a world in which God has complete control. Here is a quote that I found compelling. Let me know what you think.

"Here I will sum up what we have seen. There is a line of teaching in both biblical Testaments that non-Jewish and non-Christian religions were inspired by divine powers that were created good but then went bad. As Paul suggested, angelic powers rebelled in pride against their Maker and enticed whole populations to worship them instead of the Father of Jesus Christ. They distorted what they knew of God's truth and held their devotees in a kind of bondage to a version of divine law. Hence the religions were born in deception and malice. But at the same time the religions are tutors of sort. God uses their very distortions to teach truth by the very mixture they produce. Their truth, mixed with error, was sown by seeds from the Logos. That truth keeps people from ruining their lives by wholesale avoidance of God's law, and it leads some to a reverent fear of God."

I think that one of the most biblically coherent elements of this idea by McDermott is that it provides a way to interact with those of other religions in what amounts to patient persuasion rather than hostile argumentation. I also think that it gives an inroad into the realization that those who believe they have the truth in their particular faith might not be completely in that they have truth, possibly just a distorted version of what God once created as good. Finally, I think that in this I, as a Christian, need to have a more humble grasp on truth as I remember what has been done in the name of Christ that truth does not resemble the truths on which I claim to have life. I would love to hear your thoughts. I guess this could also be called "Cow Tippin'" (See post below)

2 comments:

Ryan 1 said...

First, I would like to congratulate myself for telling you that this book is sweet and that you should get it. Second, I absolutely agree. What a refreshing contrast with the insane guy at lunch on Wednesday we listened to. As you suggested, I think that McDermott's thoughts are what I have always kind of believed but never really put together or articulated in such a great way. Plus, his research is excellent. I am always glad when people say outstanding theological things that also align with Church tradition. Hoozah.

Jeremiah Dickson said...

Morrow, awesome blog.
I would have to agree that the premise of this book seems to fit my world view as well. However, I wonder how we, as Christians, can take this point of view without making ourselves look like theological snobs. Or even worse bible thumping, single minded, jerk faces !)
I'm not questioning. I'm asking. I know this is a very postmodern response but as I think about where God has placed me right now I believe it is relevant.
I work directly with 9 people. Two have conveyed their believe in Jesus, Two are nominal catholics, one is very lost (he is a ex-pastors kid. This is for another time but when I listen to his story it makes me weep, angry, and doubt), and the other 4 seem to have the whole relative truth thing down pat. All that to say, this isn’t a question of how do we express our thoughts concerning this topic to others. Rather, this is a question of how do we express our faith in light of other faiths. How do we tactfully and humbly present Christ?