Thursday, May 3, 2007

What would I really say?

My friend Josh just recently had their first baby and he had written some thoughts on his blog that he would like to share with little Roy. So, in honor of that and in thinking through our own child could arrive any time now I thought I might try the same exercise.

Dear ...... (I know your name, but we're keeping it a secret)

Here are some basic ground rules of my life and I would greatly appreciate if you might be obliged to consider them important also. First, I try really hard to love Jesus and out of that love to take care of other people in the world. One of the things I am particularly passionate right now, which will probably have repercussions in your life, is the desire to get out of United States in order to show you that this place is not the normal way of existence. To be honest, I fail a lot at this goal, but I do pray that my life might be a small guidepost of what it means to love Jesus and pour that love to others. Second, I love your mom a lot. She and I have known each other for about seven years now. Our first year was filled with sadness for me because she was dating some guy (whose name shall not be mentioned), but she finally came to her senses. I know that you will grow to love and respect her because she is passionate about life and loves to envision a better and more profound world. You are really lucky. Third, the rest of your family is really anticipating your arrival. You have more clothes and toys than most people would ever need, particularly when they are still unborn. I hope that you take the time to know them because you will learn a lot and be challenged. They are a joyful group that embodies hope, joy, fortitude, passion, intelligence, and love. Fourth, I love to learn new things. This has actually a bit of an obsession for me lately, I am writing this while working at a bookstore. We just packed up the books in our house and it was about 30 boxes of books. You WILL like books because I will force them on you. I have heard it is not good to force things on your children, but this will just have to be the exception. Don't worry, I will not read you irritating books by angry people, but some of them might be a bit above your age. It'll be good for you. Fifth, our family roots for the Minnesota Twins. I guess this is probably another non-negotiable. I am ok if you don't root for the Vikings, Timberwolves, and Wild, but the Twins are an essential part of our unit. We particularly enjoy when Johan Santana is pitching in the second half of the season. You will understand what I mean when you are a teenager and he is about to win his 15th Cy Young award! Finally, I am not perfect. I know this will come as a shock, but I thought I should get it out of the way early. I have failed in many ways and will continue to do so in my life, but you need to know that I will always love you as well as I know how. I promise to respect you and be your advocate. I promise to be your protector and bestow worth upon you. I want our relationship to be one rooted in honesty so I thought I would initiate that here.

I love you and can't wait to meet you.

Dad

5 comments:

erica said...

I love you.

Ryan 1 said...

Uhhhh, Vikings are negotiable? I don't know what kind of father you're trying to be here...fair-weather? Wishy-washy? The beauty of your letter to you daughter is outstanding. I love it. Yet there is a small part of me that weeps at your lack of faithfulness to the Vikes. At the same time, I have no room to talk, because Lydia has two Ravens onesies and no Vikings. So I guess we will both have to settle for trying to be good fathers in all other areas.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Morrow,

I'll have you know that I have come around on the twins. I've finally gotten over '87 and made them my A.L. team.

My brother in laws, Trevor and Rob, are big fans.

David said...

Carney,
That is music to my ears. I can only imagine us having a severe disagreement when the Twins are playing the Cards in the World Series and Santana strikes out Pujols to finish off his no hitter in Game 7 to win the series. Love the pics of Roy on your blog. Keep 'em coming.

Unknown said...

THat was pretty much the cutest thing I've ever read. Erica and your new baby are so lucky! Miss you guys! But I hear you are coming home!