Tuesday, May 15, 2007

"Killing Floor" and other wonderful novels

I graduated from seminary this past Saturday and it was a joyous occasion. My parents were in town which was excellent and I got to have lunch at P.F. Changs with 11 of my favorite people (I had the double pan fried noodles with beef which was spectacular). Upon graduating and finishing all of the academic requirements necessary for graduation I have been doing what all graduates would do: READING NOVELS. My dad told me about an author named Lee Child. He has written numerous novels that revolve around the character, Jack Reacher. Reacher is a military burn-out who is now a loner, but seems to continually get caught up in fantastic stories of espionage and political suspense. Anyway, I love them. It is so refreshing to read a book without a pen in my hand and a worry that I am going to get tested on the contents (can I get an AMEN!). I am on my third of these books and would highly recommend it for those of you who, like me, spend most of your time in non-fiction books that hurt to read after about ten pages because you can't remember the argument that began 100 pages ago. This is also a friendly and necessary reminder that the biblical story is supposed to be read as a novel in many cases. Reading the stories of Abraham, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Saul, David, Solomon, Jonah, Esther, Ruth, etc, are supposed to be read on the edge of your seat. I truly need to re-discover these texts for the first time in order to truly experience the intrigue and suspense of these stories that are supposed to draw us into the text and, ultimately, closer to God. Praise the Lord for novels.

4 comments:

Ryan 1 said...

Yeah, maybe I should have waited to graduate to read novels. Then maybe I would be graduating.

Mrs. Carn-Dog said...

Hey

just wanted to say thanks for the Claiborne. I'm sucky at thank yous...so just pretend you got something in the mail and we will both feel good about saving the enviro and me not really sending anything, but digital data.

No baby yet! I keep checking!

Congrats on graduating. I'm jealous. Have to wait till August.

Carney

David said...

Thanks Carney. I'm happy you got the book. Hope you enjoy it. I will definitely give you a call when baby Morrow comes into the world. Thanks for checking.

Aaron said...

I cant get myslef to read a novel. I am stuck in a stack of the non-fiction type, and just cant find the motivation to pick up a novel. I have tried before and have failed. So On the fiction end I usually just stick to movies!